Summers are tough. They make life a living hell due to the heat one has to bear and the hike in electricity bills they have to manage somehow. Price hikes are a commonplace in summers because almost everyone increases their usage of air conditioners, refrigerators, and even swimming pools, which all require electricity for their functioning and maintenance. But it isn’t difficult to get a hold on your electricity bill in summer if you follow a few tips from Gold Coast Electricians. So what tips might they be? Well, to answer this questions in this post we have compiled an interesting list of “Top Tips for Surviving Summer from a Gold Coast Electrician”.
- Have Safety Inspections: According to our Gold Coast Electrician, having safety inspections before the summer starts is necessary. It is because such general safety inspections help to prepare for the high loads that are bound to occur through the summer.
- Service of Air Conditioners: Did you know that a serviced Air Conditioner requires less amount of electricity for great cooling as compared to a non-serviced one? Well, now you do! Our Gold Coast Electrician advises getting your Air Conditioners serviced and repaired since it is going to be heavily used throughout the summer.
- Test Safety Switches: Faulty safety switches are prone to trip at anytime, be it in the middle of the night or during the day, you never know. So, another great tip from our Gold Coast Electrician is to always test your safety switches or get them tested by a qualified electrician before the summer arrives. Properly working safety switches minimize any sort of nuisance tripping and protects your family from electric shock.
- Install Appliances on Off-Peak Tariffs: A smart way to save on electricity bills is to install all your appliances, hot water systems and pools on off-peak tariffs.
- Install Peak Smart Meters on Peak Smart Air Conditioners: Why is this among a top tip? Well, this is definitely going to surprise you. Energex has started a program named as the ‘Positive Payback Program’ that gives a reward if you have installed Peak Smart Air Conditioners along with Peak Smart Meters. The reward ranges from $100 to $400 depending upon the cooling capacity that ranges from less than 4kW to 10kW or more.
- Install Ceiling Fans: If you really want to save on your electricity bills then a great alternative to using air conditioners is the installation of ceiling fans. They consume less electricity and in return circulate the air better.
- Make Your Entertainment Systems Ready: One last tip by our Gold Coast Electrician for you is to make sure that your entertainment systems are ready for this outdoor festive season. Enjoy your summer.
Light Emitting Diodes, LEDs for short, have become a topic of great interest for people as the awareness of their environmental friendly nature and economic benefits start to spread. Being used primarily as a form of lighting in small electronic devices, LED lighting has come a long way as it is now quite usually used for creation of spectacular effects at events and concerts. Therefore, it has become advanced enough to now be used for everyday purposes around the home. Since a lot of misleading information about LEDs is being spread in the market, this article is written to educate consumers and home owners about the potential of this extraordinary form of lighting. To keep the pattern of this article both educational and easy on the eyes, it is divided into two parts, lists in particular, one each for the pros and cons of LED lighting.
Installing LEDs can become a revolutionary step to improve the efficiency and cut on the cost of electricity. Among many countless benefits, here are a few of the most important ones:
• Long-Lasting: LEDs have a comparatively longest lifespan which ranges from 35,000 to 50,000 hours when compared to 750 to 2,000 hours for incandescent bulbs and 8,000 to 10,000 hours for CFLs. This factor ultimately saves you future maintenance and cost.
• High Efficiency: LEDs increase the efficiency and lowers the power usage when compared to its competitors.
• Low Temperature: Because LEDs have a comparatively lower heat output, their part in increase of temperature is negligible.
• Size: The small size of LEDs make them prime choice of consumers as they can be used in spaces that might be too small for incandescent bulbs.
• Durable: Since LEDs are not made from glass, they are not easily breakable like incandescent bulbs.
• Low UV Output: LEDs have a lower ultraviolet and infra-red output which lowers the risk of fire, especially when compared with incandescent lights.
• Faster to Switch: The switching time for LEDs is faster and they are less likely to be damaged by on off cycles.
• Environment Friendly: Since LEDs don’t increase the temperature, or emit CO2, they are considered the most environment friendly when compared with its other counterparts.
• Variety of Colours: LEDs are available in a vast variety of colours, which makes home improvements and decorations much more efficient. Such LEDs can also be setup to dynamically change colour.
Like all of the other lighting solutions available, LEDs also have their cons, some of which are compiled in the following list:
• Expensive to Purchase: Although the power consumption of LEDs is less than incandescent lights but the upfront cost of purchasing them is much higher.
• Non-Dimmable Types: Some LEDs are non-dimmable, therefore it is advised to know the specifications of LEDs of your choice before making the purchase.
• Compatibility Issues: Some LEDs might not be compatible with usual and existing dimmers, which can pose a problem for you.
• Risk of Failure at High Temperatures: Under high temperature conditions, there is a chance that LEDs may fail prematurely.
• Efficiency Can Degrade Over Life: The efficiency of LEDs, including colour quality and light output can decrease over life.
• Less Resources Available: Since LEDs is a comparatively new technology, getting advice and accurate specifications can prove to be difficult.
Because the pros of LED lighting outweigh the cons of it, KMAC Electrical highly recommend the use of LEDs and to make them the primary lighting solution for your home and business.
KMAC Electrical – Electricians proudly servicing the Gold Coast and Southeast QLD.
KMAC Electrical is proud to be a part of the well-known Fortitude Valley based Thai restaurant, Thai Wi-Rat.
We are proud to complete this 2 bedroom unit complete renovation. Modern designs with modern LED lighting definitely makes this unit one of a kind.
We are proud to be a part of this exciting new bar and restaurant. It’s always exciting wiring such an intricately designed, soon to be icon of Broadbeach.
Proud of David McGeorge for running and completing such an awesome fit out. You’ve certainly had to think outside the box for this one.